The delightfully decadent British stage and screen thespian Tim Curry has graced a number of off-kilter spook-taculars throughout his kooky, kicky career. He launched to stardom in the dazzling high heels of Dr. Frank-N-Furter in Richard O’Brien’s campy cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. While not a traditional horror film, per se, RHPS is certainly a fun gender-bending dress-up dream if you feel like doing the Time Warp again at home this Halloween.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is available on Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Vudu, DirecTV, and RedBox.
If you are in the mood for more spine-tingling chills and thrills, look no further than a very menacing Curry as Stephen King’s maniacal killer clown Pennywise in the original television mini-series It. Albeit somewhat dated, you’ve still got bleeding faucets, ghost kids, and, uhhhh, a terrifying shark-mouthed clown running amok in the storm drains of Derry, Maine – some pretty scary stuff.
Stephen King’s It is available on Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Fandango, Vudu, DirecTV, and RedBox.
Looking for something more family-friendly, but still nice and spooky? The Worst Witch tells the story of young Mildred Hubble, who is invariably the “Worst Witch” at Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches, a pre-Hogwarts school of magic, if you will. Curry stars as The Grand Wizard at Miss Cackle’s and kicks off the holiday in style with this ‘80s-tastic rendition of “The Halloween Song”.
The Worst Witch is available on YouTube.
Finally, Curry brings it home by just straight up playing the devil (or, alright, “Darkness”) in Ridley Scott’s Legend, another ‘80s fantasy classic for older kids, starring a very young Tom Cruise and Mia Sara. Full of unicorns, goblins, demons, spells, and magic, this dark fairy tale certainly strikes an All Hallows mood.
Legend is available on Showtime, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Fandango, Vudu, DirecTV, and RedBox.
Feast on some appropriately spicy pumpkin curry and a smoky cocktail while you enjoy this spirited Tim Curry-Fest!
SPICY PUMPKIN CURRY CRAZY SAUCE
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons favorite hot-sauce
- Approximately 1 (15 ounce) can pureed pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 tablespoons powdered curry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper
- Salt pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat
- Add diced onion and sauté until just translucent
- Add entire can of diced tomatoes (including juice)
- Add 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce and reduce heat to medium-low
- Add entire can of pureed pumpkin, 3 tablespoons powdered curry seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 cup vegetable broth. Cook uncovered 20 minutes or until a yogurt-like consistency is achieved
- Add 1 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, remove from heat and allow to cool
- Use an immersion blender to puree until tomato and onion pieces are thoroughly incorporated
This sauce is great paired with grilled vegetables, fish, and white-meat.
SMOKE BREAK COCKTAIL
- Cherrywood chips
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 3/4 oz cream sherry
- 1/2 oz sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes Woodford Reserve spiced cherry bourbon-barrel-aged bitters
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Using a smoking gun and the cherrywood chips, add smoke to a glass decanter, then cover top of decanter to capture smoke.
- Add remaining ingredients and ice into a mixing glass and stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into prepared decanter, cap and serve in a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a tray of dark chocolate and dried black cherries.